Contact Us
Ridgefield Daily Voice serves Ridgefield, CT
Return to your home site


Ridgefield Daily Voice serves Ridgefield, CT

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Man Wounded In Post Super Bowl Party Shootout At Upscale Stamford Apartment

Stamford police Investigator Frank Laccona, right, points out the area where a bullet hit at 111 Towne St. to Sgt Paul Guzda on Monday. Photo Credit: Frank MacEachern
The area where a shootout occurred after a Super Bowl party. A shooter at 110 Towne St., at right, exchanged gunfire with a man at 111 Towne St., at left. Bullets shattered glass at 111 Towne St. A man suffered two gunshot wounds in the exhange. Photo Credit: Frank MacEachern
Yellow stickers indicate where bullets struck at the front entrance to 111 Towne St., during a shootout after a Super Bowl party Sunday night. Photo Credit: Frank MacEachern

STAMFORD, Conn. — A 32-year-old man was shot in the groin and the leg in a wild shootout involving two other men who had just left a Super Bowl party on Towne Street at 11 p.m. Sunday, Stamford Police said.

The shooting was captured on surveillance video at the upscale downtown apartments, police said.

"The video was outrageous. In the middle of this complex with them firing at one another," Sgt. Paul Guzda said about the shootout.

All three people were seen on video at the party that was hosted by one of the building's tenants in the club room at 111 Towne St., police said. Guzda said the witnesses haven't been cooperative so far.

"The answer lies at the party and everybody who was there," he said. “Everybody knows one another. It’s no secret amongst them as to whose responsible for this."

The shooting occurred at a luxury apartment building in the city’s Harbor Point area in the South End.

The 32-year-old man — who is not from Stamford — suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Police said the first shooter was wearing a hoody and is seen on surveillance video near 110 Towne St. The victim and the second shooter are seen leaving 111 Towne St. a couple of minutes before 11 p.m.

When they are outside the building the first shooter unloads his weapon, striking the 32-year-old man, Guzda said. His companion briefly stares down the first shooter and then pulls a pistol out and unloads it at the original shooter, who starts to flee, he said.

As many as 20 rounds may have been fired in the shootout, Guzda said. Bullet holes were found in vehicles and in the building, he said.

As he entered the building to investigate, Guzda said loose glass from a shattered window fell to the floor.

Police are still working to determine what prompted the shooting. Guzda said there had been a minor altercation at the party.

"I really wouldn't be surprised if it was as stupid and ludicrous as the game," where the Patriots scored an overtime victory over the Falcons, said Guzda.

George Boyce, a resident of the upscale complex, said he believes people should be required to hire a security guard when the rent the club room for an event.

"I feel relatively safe but what happens is people come in and you don't know who is coming in," Boyce said.

New management took over the building on Jan. 1, he said. "This was their first experience. In their defense, they probably didn't know better," he said

He said he didn't know about the shooting until Monday when a friend alerted him.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Ridgefield Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Ridgefield Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.