Contact Us
Ridgefield Daily Voice serves Ridgefield, CT
Return to your home site

Menu

Ridgefield Daily Voice serves Ridgefield, CT

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Halogen Light Sparked Fire In Ridgefield That Killed 78-Year-Old Woman

A 78-year-old woman was killed in an accidental fire in a Ridgefield condo in April.
A 78-year-old woman was killed in an accidental fire in a Ridgefield condo in April. Photo Credit: File

RIDGEFIELD, Conn. -- The fire that killed an elderly Ridgefield woman in April was an accident sparked by an "energized electrical appliance," according to NBC Connecticut .

The fire marshal's office said Sandra Reyes, 78, was trapped in the top floor of her two-story condo at 15 Cook Close in the Casagmo Condominiums when the fire broke out April 23.

A halogen light caught fire that was clipped to a wooden table that was resting against an upholstered sofa near a bed in a first floor bedroom, NBC Connecticut said.

Her sons tried to rescue her, but Reyes died at the Bridgeport Hospital Burn Unit. Her son, Joseph, 55, was treated at the same facility.

A Go Fund Me page has so far raised over $37,000 to help the family.

Read the full story here at NBC Connecticut.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Ridgefield Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Ridgefield Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.