Updated at 3:40 p.m.: RIGEFIELD, Conn. The fire at the Ridgefield Skate Park on Prospect Street was "not suspicious" but an accident "caused by faulty electrical wiring," said Ridgefield Fire Marshal David Lathrop and the State Fire Marshal's Office.
By 2:30 p.m. Thursday, the building had been removed for the Parks and Recreation Department to clean the park. A reopening date has not been announced.
Original story: RIGEFIELD, Conn. A fire early Thursday left the concession stand at the Ridgefield Skate Park a charred ruin, Fire Chief Heather Burford reported.
At about 3:30 a.m., a man living in the Quail Ridge development off Prospect Street reported smelling smoke coming from the skate park, Burford said.
Eleven firefighters responded to find the 10-by-8-foot structure fully engulfed, the chief said. The stand was used for various purposes, including keeping the time sheets of park employees and as a sign-in location, she said.
Burford called in the State Fire Marshal's office, which brought an accelerant-detecting dog to the scene to rule out arson. We dont know at this point [what started the fire]," Burford said.
Its so sad," she said, "because the kids love that place, and its so well managed. And its such a wonderful spot. Hopefully, well be able to get it cleaned up pretty quickly once theyre done with the investigation. About 250 children use the skate park, Burford said.
As of 1:30 p.m. Thursday, the state fire marshal had not issued a determination.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.