RIDGEFIELD, Conn. – The body of missing Ridgefield runner David Riek has been positively identified by the Connecticut Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, which ruled his death a suicide.
According to the Medical Examiner, the official cause of death was an “incised wound to the neck” or a self-inflicted knife cut.
During a news conference Sunday, family friend James Mercante described Riek as being a “great father and a fantastic husband and the best friend you could ever want.”
Riek was reported missing early Saturday morning after not returning home following a regular run. The Ridgefield Police and Fire departments were called to begin a search, which lasted around 28 hours and involved hundreds of volunteers from the community and Riek’s friends from across the Eastern seaboard.
The search ended at around 1:30 p.m Sunday, when volunteers found a body off a trail.
Anyone with further information is asked to call the Ridgefield Police at 203-438-6531.
- 1 Ridgefield Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 2 Snow Likely At End Of Weekend In Ridgefield
- 3 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Ridgefield
- 4 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 5 Bishop Cites Slain Sisters' Goodness At Funeral Mass In Harrison