FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- With President Donald Trump's proposed budget that cuts federal funding for research and development looming, WalletHub.com released a report reminding Fairfield County residents that their state is among the most innovative in the country.
Connecticut ranked No. 9 in the report that gives credit to the states that have contributed the most to America’s innovative success. The WalletHub’s analysts compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 18 key metrics.
In "2017’s Most & Least Innovative States" the data set ranges from share of STEM professionals, to research and development spending per capita, to average Internet speed.
Here are the results for Connecticut in the different categories with 1 being "most innovative" and 25 "average":
- Share of STEM professionals: 13th
- Projected STEM-job demand by 2020: 15th
- Eighth-grade math and science performance: 27th
- Share of science and engineering graduates aged 25-plus: 14th
- Share of technology companies: 24th
- Research and development spending per capita: 6th
- Average Internet speed: 15th
- Venture-Capital Funding per Capita: 9th
Here are the top 10 innovative states:
1. District of Columbia
10. New Hampshire
West Virginia, at No. 51, is the least innovative state, according to WalletHub.com .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.